Museum of the University of Gdańsk
ul. Bielańska 5
Tel. (58) 523 37 55, (58) 523 37 65
Director: Marta Szaszkiewicz MA
Staff: Magdalena Jaszcza MA
The Museum of the University of Gdańsk is an inter-faculty unit of the university. It was established in 2018 for the principal purpose of collecting, analysing, keeping and making available specimens related to the academic heritage of the University of Gdańsk and the history of academia. The university, which is currently the largest institution of higher
education in the Pomeranian region, was established in 1970 as a result of the amalgamation of the Wyższa Szkoła Ekonomiczna w Sopocie (Higher School of Economics in Sopot) and the Wyższa Szkoła Pedagogiczna w Gdańsku (Higher Pedagogical School in Gdańsk), which was founded in the years 1945–1946. Currently work is in progress on a permanent exhibition, which will be located in Gdańsk, in the centre of the Old Town, in the university building at ul. Bielańska 5. In March 2020 the museum opened its first temporary exhibition associated with the university’s 50th anniversary. Apart from organizing exhibitions, the main tasks of the museum are: documenting and studying the history of the University of Gdańsk (including studies conducted within the university itself) and of its predecessors, bringing in action and coordinating (in collaboration with other entities) measures aimed at promulgating knowledge on the history of academia in Gdańsk and in the Gdańsk region (also before 1945) and promoting the actions of the University of Gdańsk (by coorganizing the promotion of the university’s publications) by taking advantage of its excellent location in the city centre.
Marta Szaszkiewicz MA