Museum of the Wrocław University of Science and Technology
Tel. 71 320 33 20
Open Tuesdays and Thursdays: 11 am – 1 pm (or by prior appointment with museum staff).
Director: Piotr Machlański PhD
Staff: Piotr Pregiel PhD, Paweł Domino MA
In 2004 the authorities of the Wrocław University of Science and Technology declared their intention to open a museum. On 20 January 2004 the University Senate approved the regulations for a new interfaculty entity – the Museum of the Wrocław University of Science and Technology – which was officially established on 26 April 2005. Soon after the museum acquired its own seat in an 80-year-old building located near the main university building. A permanent exhibition was opened on 13 December 2007. The museum was established in order to amass collections illustrating the cultural, academic and educational achievements of the university and also to carry out research and teaching. Its interests cover principally the university’s specific past as well as its historical connection with the German Technische Hochschule which operated in Wrocław (then Breslau) in the years 1910–1945 and the Lwów (now Lviv) Polytechnic which functioned until 1939. The research undertaken by the museum staff therefore focuses on the following issues:
– the history of the Technische Hochschule Breslau and its architecture as well as the values it transferred to the Wrocław University of Technology (as the University of Science and Technology was then known by the German university);
– the reception of the traditions of the technical schools in Lwów (1844–1945), in particular the Lwów Polytechnic (Politechnika Lwowska), by the academic milieu in Wrocław;
– the beginnings of the Wrocław University of Technology and its development from 1945.
The resources of the museum of the Wrocław University of Science and Technology cover a similar scope. The collections consist of technical devices which were once used for teaching and research, and historical documentation illustrating the history of the university, as well as academic institutions in Lwów and the German Technische Hochschule Breslau.