University of Wrocław Museum
pl. Uniwersytecki 1
(71) 375 26 18, (71) 375 28 91
Current ticket prices available on the website.
October – April:
Mondays – Tuesdays, Thursdays – Sundays:
10 am – 4 pm
May – September:
Mondays – Tuesdays, Thursdays – Fridays:
10 am – 5 pm
Weekends: 10 am – 6 pm
Director: Prof. Jan Harasimowicz
Staff: Urszula Bończuk-Dawidziuk PhD, Maria Kowalińska MA, Urszula Rozpara MA, Jarosław Suleja MA
The University of Wrocław Museum is located in the university’s Baroquestyle main building and safeguards the artefacts and memorabilia related to the university’s activities. It has a strictly historical profile, and the collections consist of 1,563 objects which include scientific instruments and apparatuses, handicrafts, sculptures, paintings, prints and photographs dating from the 15th to the 20th centuries. The museum was established in 1992 as a result of separating the Department of Museum Collections from the University of Wrocław Archives. At first, the museum was housed in the monumental historic interior of the Aula Leopoldina (Leopoldine Hall), then in 1997, also in the former music room, the Oratorium Marianum (Marian oratory). In subsequent years the Mathematical Tower (2000) was made available to the public and a permanent exhibition was organized in the Roman Longchamps de Bérier Room (2002). In 2011 the exhibition space was enlarged by adding the Stefan Banach Room with the adjoining corridor, and the Room under the Pillar (Pod Filarem) was allocated to temporary exhibitions. At that time the entire exhibition space of 470 sq. meters was renovated and rearranged. The new concept focused on the more than 300 years of the university’s activities, starting with the Jesuit Leopoldine College (founded in 1702) until after the Second World War, with particular emphasis on the ‛pioneering’ times between the years 1945 and 1948, when both social and intellectual ‛capital’ was contributed to the university by the community of scholars from Lwów (now Lviv, Ukraine). The museum is an autonomous interdepartmental entity, reporting directly to the rector. It operates pursuant to the Rector’s Order no. 28/92 dated 6 August 1992 concerning the foundation of the University of Wrocław Museum, and the organizational regulations amended by Resolution no. 40/2007 of the University of Wrocław Senate dating from 28 March 2007. The museum staff comprises four professionals and seven service employees.
Urszula Bończuk-Dawidziuk PhD